Sunday, November 2, 2008

Using blogs in the classroom

I found the article "Don't Feed the Trolls" to be an interesting read. I think blogs could be helpful as well as a learning experienc for both the teacher and the students. The ability to provide links to other helpful websites alone could be very useful depending on what the website was. I like the idea that the students are able to comment on each other's drafts, but this can also be potentially harmful. I think you would have to as a teacher make the rules, and guidelines known before introducing blogs to your students. There would be a need to specifically in detail explain the behavior that would not be accepted. Make sure students think through their actions before acting. For instance, asking themselves Should I do this? If they come to the conclusion that the action should not be done then they should follow through and not do it. We as teachers also have a responsibility to show the students our own blogs as an example, and also to join the lesson therefore showing the students firsthand how to correctly comment on someone else's work. By doing this we are setting a concrete example for the students about what is exceptable behavior.

I really liked the blog for Mr. Harbeck's math class. I think this would be an easy way for parents to find out how their chilren are doing in the class. This blog also allows the students to look up assignments to make sure they didn't forget any. The blog has math games available, as well as math examples, and links to other websites that are available to further help the children. Reminders for quizzes as well as notes from the classes are also available for those students who need them. This teacher did a great job on his own blog to use for his classroom.

So far I find this class to be very interesting. I am having a hard time with some of the assignments so far, but feel that I will eventually learn how to do what is expected of me. This week has especially been difficult because of having this class as well as finishing my Learning Theories class. I do think this class will be useful in helping me to learn some more valuble tools to help teach and engage my own students when it becomes time to do so.

No comments: